- Cryostat Box
- Control Unit
- Accessory Box
- Master Box
- Cryostat/Master Pallet
- Compressor & Compressor Pallet
CONTACT MONTANA INSTRUMENTS
Prior to taking apart the system, please contact Montana Instruments to ensure all trouble shooting is done and to discuss which parts of the system need to be returned. We will also provide you with an RMA number.
For any options that need to be returned please get specific instructions from Montana Instruments.
- Turn off system and remove all electrical, helium, and vacuum lines.
- Put the caps back on the helium lines and the vacuum port.
- Make sure that the front panel and the lid of the cryostat are on.
Red Locking Plugs
- From the original packaging there should be red packing plugs and spacer rings.
- Install these on either side of the vacuum jacket to maintain the position of the rod running through the bellows. Place the c-spacer under the bolt and the red plug above. Use an M3x8 screw to fasten down and tighten the plugs back and forth until the foam is compressed under the vacuum jacket (if using foam).
Attaching the Shipping Support
- Re-attach the shipping support at the back of the cryostat. This can be a little difficult to reinstall, but come in at an angle with the lower bracket piece.
- Attach the four 35mm M5 bolts first, but leave these loose. Then add the two 25mm M%5 bolts. Tighten all bolts down.
- Attach the cryostat to the original shipping plate in the 7 places that are usually used to hold the cryostat to the table.
- Tape over the optical access windows to protect them, use kim wipes to go directly over the windows or some other lens tissue.
- Wrap the sample housing in plastic wrap.
Packing the Cryostat Box
- Wrap the cryostat in plastic wrap and place in the fitted foam pieces.
- Put the cryostat in the Cryostat Box with the arrows pointing the correct way.
- Tape the Cryostat Box shut.
- Verify that the cap is on the vacuum port and the power switch is in the off position. You can wrap the control box in plastic wrap if available.
- Set the control box in the fitted foam pieces and slide into the control box. Tape the box shut.
- Pack up the computer.
- Pack up the cables.
- Place in the accessory box and tape shut.
- The accessory box and control unit both fit into the master box.
- Once in the master box, this box can be taped closed.
- The Master Box and Cryostat Box will fit on the pallet together.
- Strap the two boxes down using cardboard corner pieces (these were included with the boxes and pallet).
- Place 2 tilt watches (front and side) and 2 shock watches (front and side).
- Make sure the power switch is off and the ports are capped.
- Make sure the enable switch is off.
- Remove all cables and cords.
- Wrap the compressor in plastic, if available.
- Place the compressor on original compressor shipping pallet. NOTE: Compressor is very heavy, TWO people should complete this step.
- Place white foam assembly on top of compressor with “dropped piece in the front on the bottom.
- Place the helium lines and vacuum line in the foam and secure each coil with a piece of Velcro.
- Secure the compressor in the box with the ratchet straps ensuring they are tight enough to hold the compressor securely, but not enough to warp the foam and cause packing problems.
- Place the flat white foam on top of the lines and foam. Make sure the bottom foam is evenly spaced in its wooden brackets and will accept the cover box.
- Lower compressor cover box on to package and make sure it is seated.
- Strap box (2 straps) using hard cardboard corners (4).
- Add TILT watch and shock watch to side and front.
- Put address label on the box.
- If you are just sending back the control unit then it may not have to be packed on a pallet, check with Montana Instruments.
- Compressors and Cryostats will always need to be shipped on a pallet!
- Before sending back any portion of the Cryostation, please contact Montana Instruments for information on receiving packing materials and shipping instructions/labeling.
- Please contact Montana Instruments to determine if cables or hoses need to be sent.
- Let us know if you have questions about the packing process.
- Contact Montana Instruments (email@example.com) and we can schedule a pick-up. Let us know what day would be best for you for the pick-up.